I went to the Epicurean Center at Brown Brothers Winery in Victoria quite a few years ago and this tart was on the menu. Everyone at our table tried it, along with the wine, and we thought we just had to go home and recreate it. It’s really simple to make and SO delicious.
This is a great appetizer or first course. I serve it often as a first course and everyone always cleans their plate. This dish is so easy anyone can do it and have it look spectacular on the plate. Most of this recipe can be made ahead and assembled and baked just before serving.
Up to a week before you can make the caramelized onions and you can buy the semi-dried tomatoes or use roasted capsicum (sweet peppers) if you don’t have the time (nor inclination) to make your own. I love to cook so I enjoy that bit but the end result won’t be heaps better if you buy quality prepared ingredients.
- 3 yellow onions sliced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 jar (or homemade) pesto
- 1 jar (or homemade) semi dried tomatoes
- 1 block of feta cheese (I use Bulgarian but any type will do)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Slowly cook the sliced onions in a bit of oil trying not to let them get too much color. Once they're translucent add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water and simmer til thick. (This will smell divine!)
- At this point you can put the caramelized onions in the fridge til just before baking.
- Set oven at 350F
- defrost puff pastry and cut each sheet into 4 pieces and place on a sheet pan (cut more if you're making small appetizers)
- Fold each side of the pastric in to make a rim that during baking will rise around the center of the tart
- Place a spoonfull of onions in the middle of each sheet and then place a semi-dried tomato and then a piece of feta on top of the onions
- For nicer looking finished product, brush edges of pastry with an egg wash.
- At 15 minutes check to see if the edges are golden brown and the cheese has softened, if so, remove from the oven.
- Set each tart on a plate and drizzle it with pesto. Decorate the plate with a line of balsamic vinegar and serve to rave reviews.
Sadly you’ll have to wait for a better photo because I deleted it by accident. I’ll take it when I make this again and I WILL be making this again.
This is delicious!
Jacqui (CRAP Mamma) says
Oh my goodness Maureen, some of my most favourite ingredients thrown into one!! I am so going to make these. Yummity yum. Thanks x
Awww, thanks. Every time I think of you I think of the expression that must have been on your face when you realized that you’d been set up on how cats get pregnant. I think you could have sold tickets.
Ciao Florentina says
Oh this sounds too good! Must make this week !
Fantastic appetizer. Love this caramelized onion tart. The feta cheese makes it amazing. Thanks.