I love ice cream. If it didn’t clog my veins I would eat nothing but ice cream until I couldn’t hold another bite. I probably shouldn’t admit this in case my doctor (or husband, children, etc. etc.) read this and know where my true love lies.
This ice cream is really easy to make but decadently delicious. It’s even more delicious if you have more than 3 egg yolks but that’s all I had today. This chocolate ice cream is Very Very Chocolate so unless you’re a real chocolate lover this might be too chocolatey for you. It was perfect for me.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs cocoa
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee or espresso
- Combine sugar, milk, salt, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the egg yolks into a small bowl.
- Slowly stir in about ½ cup of the hot liquid so you don't cook the eggs. and return it to the saucepan.
- Stir and heat until thickened, but do not boil. (This doesn't take long.)
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the chopped chocolate until chocolate is melted.
- Pour into a chilled bowl, and refrigerate for about two hours until cold, stirring occasionally.
- When chocolate mixture has completely cooled, stir in the cream, and vanilla.
- Pour into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
This is very rich so you can serve small portions as a garnish to another dessert.
I spotted this chocolate ice cream recipe and it sounded very tasty but there is some confusion in the recipe. You have milk listed twice in the ingredients but in the directions, it’s only mentioned one. Neither the coffee nor espresso is listed in the directions.
Can you clarify this?