We love roast chicken and we have it every couple of weeks. We only eat a small portion on roasting day and then look for ways to use the leftover chicken. I debone it right away so I can make stock from the carcass so there’s always some noodley chicken soup.
I’ve mixed some chicken with BBQ sauce and stuffed a baked potato and I’ve made heaps of chicken pies but yesterday I wanted something different. I’d just been to the veggie store and had some lovely broccoli and wonderful mushrooms and my casserole was born.
Leftover nights are always pretty quick – mostly just assembly and last night was easy peasy. The chicken was chopped and stored in a plastic bag in the fridge and I precooked the broccoli for about 5 minutes. Slicing the mushrooms and quickly sauteing them didn’t take long at all.
Normally, I would make everything by hand but I was tired and needed an easy meal. Cream of mushroom soup was the answer. I put the cooked broccoli on the bottom of a casserole, topped it with the mushrooms and chicken and dotted it with little hunks of cream cheese. Then I poured a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and milk over it all and grated some cheddar cheese. I topped that with bread crumbs and dotted that with some butter.
In the oven at 200C/400F and it only took about 20 minutes.
It was delicious. I served it with a simple salad and John ate two helpings.
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1½ cups cooked chicken
- ¼ cup cream cheese in small hunks
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese (could use ½ cup if you like cheese)
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven 200C/400F
- Chop cooked chicken into bite sized pieces
- Cook chopped broccoli in boiling water for 5-6 minutes, drain.
- Slice mushrooms and saute over medium heat until lightly brown
- Place broccoli in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the mushrooms.
- Layer the chicken over the broccoli and mushrooms.
- Dot the cream cheese over the chicken.
- Mix the milk and cream of mushroom soup together and pour over the broccoli, mushrooms and chicken.
- Sprinkle the other half of the cheese and the bread crumbs over the casserole and dot with the butter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.