I love lemon meringue pie and I love cheesecake so what better dessert for someone like me than lemon meringue cheesecake pie? I made it yesterday and we enjoyed it for dessert last night. I used heaps of meringue because well, ummm.. I like that bit, but you could use much less if you’re not crazy about meringue. Perhaps this isn’t the most “cheffy” pie because it’s mostly assembling, but I think the ability to get something that tastes good on the plate is a good thing.
It was creamy and lemony and frankly just plain yummy. My husband is fond of sticking his fork in my food to get “just a taste.” This is one of those desserts that you don’t want to share.
- 1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs (or sweet biscuit/cookie crumbs - omit sugar)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter - melted
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 blocks Cream Cheese (250 grams each) - I used Philly Cream Cheese
- 5 egg whites, stiffly beaten but not dry
- ½ cup caster sugar (super fine sugar - not powdered)
- Combine the crumbs, sugar and butter and press into a 9½ inch pie pan. Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for about 7 minutes, then cool to room temperature and place in the fridge to cool.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth and then add the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice and beat well.
- Pour into prepared, cooled crumb crust and chill until firm. Yes, it does get firm.
- Beat egg whites til stiff but not dry and gradually add the sugar and continue beating until all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Spoon mixture on the pie and swirl to get soft peaks.
- Bake in a 400F (200C) oven for about 7 minutes or until the peaks are dark brown and the rest of the meringue is a nice tan color.
this recipe sounds ridiculously easy for being cheesecake! i think i will try it tonight if i make it to the store before it shuts, thank you!
This looks great!