I made this casserole for the first time when I was about 22 and it’s been a favorite at our table every year since.
- 1 lb sliced carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese tightly packed
- 1 can French fried onion rings (3½ ounces)
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook carrots and onions in a pan of boiling salted water til tender (you're going to mash them so they must be cooked through)
- Drain carrots and onions
- Mash with a fork leaving chunks of carrot
- Add butter, evaporated milk and cheese and mix well. The heat of the carrots and onions will melt the cheese. Add the cracker crumbs and mix well.
- Place in a buttered casserole dish and top with a can of french fried onion rings. Bake in a moderate oven 350F or 180C til golden brown, about 40 minutes.