I love ice cream. If you looked at me you could tell. I have every flavor imaginable sitting on my hips right now. My husband loves ice cream too but he leaves making it all up to me.
It’s springtime in Australia and that means it’s time for fresh strawberries and today I made my favorite strawberry ice cream recipe. It’s not cheap and it’s probably not good for us to make it too often but it’s divine to eat.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks (you can use less eggs but the end result won't be as rich)
- 2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or scrape a vanilla bean if you're feeling extravagant)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- In a saucepan heat the milk, salt and sugar til nearly boiling.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks and then while whisking s l o w l y pour about ½ the milk into the eggs. (This is called tempering the eggs) Then pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and put it back on the heat. Stir continuously until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. It won't take too long and don't think you need to cook it longer or you'll get scrambled eggs. Honestly, just til it coats the spoon. You want it thick and the eggs cooked, the ice cream freezer will do all the magic.
- Pour the mixture into a container and add the vanilla and then let it cool.. I cool mine over a bowl of ice. Then put it in the fridge to chill.
- Once the custard has chilled, add the 2 cups of cream. Then place ½ of the strawberries and the ¼ cup caster/super fine sugar into a blender and whizz til the sugar has dissolved. Add this to the custard.
- Now you're ready for freezing. (I know you still have half the strawberries, it's okay, I'm coming to that)
- Place the ice cream mix into your freezer and start churning. Cut the remaining strawberries into chunks - the size you want to see in your ice cream. When the ice cream is starting to freeze, plop the rest of the strawberries into the mix.
tis icecream look beautiful
What Cream did you use?
I use regular cream from the grocery store, nothing exciting at all. 🙂
I love this!