If you are looking for a delicious AND easy way to put fabulous potatoes on the table, these grilled potato slices are the best. I had dinner with a friend the other night and she served a chicken dish that I’ll share with you soon along with these potatoes.
She gave me a rough idea of how she made them and hers were finished with butter and snipped chives but I wanted to use olive oil and rosemary for my potatoes. Once I scrubbed the potatoes, I sliced them into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slices.
I put a large pot of water on the stove and added 2 tablespoons of salt and a heaping tablespoon of sugar and a couple of fresh rosemary stalks. Once the water boiled, I added the potato slices and turned the pot to a slow simmer and set the timer for 15 minutes.
When the timer went off, I used a strainer and removed the potato slices to a plate and brushed them with olive oil and left them to cool. Then I turned the bbq grill on to medium high. Once the grill was hot, I rebrushed the potatoes on one side and put them oil side down. In ten minutes there were lovely char marks on the bottom and the sides were turning a bit brown.
I turned them over for just a few minutes and then to the serving plate. A drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of rosemary leaves and it’s ready for the table. While I did these myself, it would be a great job for partners, friends or older kids while you finish getting the rest of the meal on the table. You should consider trying these potatoes.
- 4 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (heaping)
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Scrub potatoes and slice in ½ inch to ¾ inch slices.
- Fill a large saucepan with water, the salt, sugar and 2 sprigs of rosemary and place over high heat until water boils, then add the potato slices and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook potato slices for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from water and place on a plate, brush with olive oil, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat BBQ to medium high heat.
- When bbq is hot, rebrush slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then place oil side down on the bbq.
- Cook until the potatoes are browned with nice grill marks. Turn over for a minute or so, then remove to the serving plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary leaves.