I woke up this morning and I wanted something good for me, fruity and yummy. I opened the pantry and well, I just stood there. You know how you open the pantry or the fridge and just stare at it hoping for divine inspiration? Yeah, like that. After a few minutes my eyes glanced over the box of Kellogg’s All Bran and then on to other things. I thought about pancakes with maple syrup and that didn’t hit the good for me button so I went back to the box of All Bran and decided to make a fruity muffin.
I took the recipe from Kellogg and adapted it for my muffins. I like plain bran muffins (no I don’t, I just said that because it sounded good. I can eat them but that’s where the line is drawn). I love fresh apple cooked in anything and while I was in the pantry I yanked out a big bag of sultanas (golden raisins) and figured I could toss a few of those in there too.
Anyone who buys a muffin mix in a box is bonkers. These muffins took no more than 10 minutes to prepare and the same amount of time to bake as a box version but with NO preservatives, plus all fresh ingredients.
I know some of you will tell me that any muffin isn’t very good for you with all the carbs and fat and sugar. It’s still better than a pancake drizzled with butter and floating with maple syrup. I don’t eat a lot so I don’t worry too much about what goes in to a dish as long as it tastes good going down. For me, life is all about experiencing joy in the moment and this morning, these bran muffins hit the spot. I ate about 3/4 of a muffin with a cup of coffee and I was set for the day.
These freeze really well too. I made a dozen muffins and froze 10 of them. I find that if I freeze them right away when they’re fresh, they are great on those days I want something more than a bowl of cereal. Maybe I’ll want one in the morning but maybe I’ll want a poached egg on a thick piece of buttered toast. heh
Here’s the recipe!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1¼ cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 apple chopped
- ⅛ cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
- Add egg and oil. Beat well.
- Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
- Add apple and sultanas and barely mix through.
- Portion evenly into twelve 2½-inch muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° F about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.